On Tuesday 09 February 2010 13:09:08 Brice Leroy wrote:
> django-admin startproject creates an empty folder...
>
> startproject almost = mkdir
>
> This will generate your models, modelForm, views, templates, urls, and
> soon customized forms and permissions

That's what the web interface does?

Yes startproject gives you empty files so you can add in your own code, with
the minimal funs.

For me, I don't see your project as a big advantage, except maybe two minutes
of time where I don't need to do things like:

class MyModel(models.Model):

I don't know, thought about your approach before, but think it's reduntant.
Just because each project requires it's own data and model field attributes
and form funs...  And I think django already does a great job of genericizing
this stuff with the code i.e. ModelFoms. I don't know how much of a real
timesaver this really is.  Didn't even mention tests..  Which can you auto
generate?

Especially if your project's outputed code isn't template driven where each
user of it can change the boiler plate code with minimal or no fuss, so it can
be tailored to each users needs.  Like I'm able to add in my most used
imports, which aren't all going to be yours or anyone elses or the same in
each project.

I think the minimal approach of django-admin is a much better way to do these
things. With either way you still have to give the fields, options and the
names, then fill in the functions you need/want. Each function that can be
autogenerated is like two lines of code.

I don't know if your generated code can handle a lot of choices I make, like
making fields not editable in the admin, setting defaults, etc... and even if
you do offer these choices, the time to use your project and code it up
probably isn't much different.

The big thing for me in terms of tools like this, is the ability to save time,
which I don't think there is a difference between what django-admin has and
your project. Because either way I need to still fill in the fields, the type
of field it is, etc.. and typeing IntegerField() isn't faster than selecting
from a drop down box.

Tho the importing of existing models maybe interesting for refactoring, Tho I
just cp oldversion newversion and make the changes.

I still have a large feeling I'm going to editting what your project outputs
(blame this on things like UML). When I would just rather write it once and
forget it.

I also love building development tools, I'm just finishing up something like
this for Go. Where it'll generate a project directory tree of your Go files
(either a package or command, with Makefiels, readme, etc.. all template
driven so you can edit the boilerplate code to be what you want) it'll be
released in a few more days when I finish cleaning up the default templates
and a few optimizations. If you want to see what I mean, I don't mind sending
it today. Just know there are a lot of mistakes in the templates and still
looking at a few tweaks and playing with usability.

But in the end, I think the time saved with yours is going to be minimal I
believe unless your can guess what model fields I need and what options they
are it's not saving that much time (maybe 30 minutes?). Otherwise, I think
that altering django-admin startporject to be template driven is a better idea
than this.  Sorry for being negative, but without negativity how can we be
challenged and grow?

Mike

--
        After the Children of Israel had wandered for thirty-nine years
in the wilderness, Ferdinand Feghoot arrived to make sure that they would
finally find and enter the Promised Land.  With him, he brought his
favorite robot, faithful old Yewtoo Artoo, to carry his gear and do
assorted camp chores.
        The Israelites soon got over their initial fear of the robot and,
as the months passed, became very fond of him.  Patriarchs took to
discussing abtruse theological problems with him, and each evening the
children all gathered to hear the many stories with which he was programmed.
Therefore it came as a great shock to them when, just as their journey was
ending, he abruptly wore out.  Even Feghoot couldn't console them.
        "It may be true, Ferdinand Feghoot," said Moses, "that our friend
Yewtoo Artoo was soulless, but we cannot believe it.  He must be properly
interred.  We cannot embalm him as do the Egyptians.  Nor have we wood for
a coffin.  But I do have a most splendid skin from one of Pharoah's own
cattle.  We shall bury him in it."
        Feghoot agreed.  "Yes, let this be his last rusting place."
        "Rusting?" Moses cried.  "Not in this dreadful dry desert!"
        "Ah!" sighed Ferdinand Feghoot, shedding a tear, "I fear you do not
realize the full significance of Pharoah's oxhide!"
                -- Grendel Briarton "Through Time & Space With Ferdinand
                   Feghoot!"