On Friday, May 09, 2014 7:12 PM [GMT+1=CET], Michael Adkins via dmarc-discuss
wrote:

> > > I disagree.  What¹s clear is that they implemented the exemption
> > > conditions as defined in the spec when they initially deployed it
> > > years ago.
> >
> > When Yahoo first published p=reject, Gmail was rejecting mail with
> > yahoo.com addresses.  (We have logs.)  Now it mostly goes into the
> > spam folder.  I don't see how an exemption set up a year ago would
> > do that.
>
> There is a big difference between having an existing exemption process
> that starts identifying more things due to changes other people make,
> and
> changing the way your system works.  You are attempting to assert the
> later about someone else’s system based purely on speculation.

When you have an exemption process to be able to whitelist some Senders which
fail a DMARC check, and then you change that whitelist to be a wildcard, I
would call it "changing the way your system works". It is clear YAHOO and AOL
have watered down the value, meaning and trustworthiness of "p=reject",
therefore the proper whitelist for DMARC checking when it fails for p=reject
domains is now an all-encompassing wildcard and just pipe the info as scoring
input into your-next-filtering-step as a Receiver. It seems to me that is
exactly what GMAIL is doing.

> Please let people explain how their systems actually work.

I didn't see Mr Levine interrupting other people's explanaition about their
systems. I saw him filling a glaring void of explanations about those, with
valuable guessing about how other people's systems probably work based on real
world observable data he has logged.

Regards,
J.Gomez