On 10/27/2014 12:23 PM, J. Gomez wrote:
> On Saturday, October 25, 2014 5:57 PM [GMT+1=CET], Dave Crocker
> wrote:
>> DMARC defines DMARC-related 'policies'.
>>
>> It does not affect DKIM in any way.  It is an overlay to DKIM
>> and/or SPF use.
>
> DMARC defines DMARC-related 'policies' which are an overlay on DKIM,
> which to me could be also aptly phrased as "DMARC creates a policy
> framework for DKIM", and more succintly "DMARC is a DKIM Policy
> Framework".
>
> Yes, DMARC does not change DKIM de-iure. But also, yes, DMARC does
> bring POLICY to DKIM.

No it does not.

The relationship between DMARC and DKIM (and SPF) is like the
relationship between TCP and IP.  TCP does not 'bring reliability and
congestion control to IP'.  Rather, TCP /uses/ IP as a transfer
component to the TCP reliability and congestion control framework that
TCP creates.

DMARC creates an authorization framework for the rfc5322.From (author)
field.  It uses DKIM and SPF for some authentication components to the
DMARC framework.

This is a fundamentally different relationship than what you are
asserting.  Your statement confuses roles and relationships.

> The truth here is that DMARC is going to be a de-facto DKIM 2.0. And

Nope.

d/

--
Dave Crocker