On Nov 9, 2014, at 1:19 AM, Franck Martin <fra...@peachymango.org> wrote:

> [...]

Dear Franck,

This table defines a message format accompanied with an SMTP caution not to
reject messages based on perceived structural errors.  Prior to DKIM creating a
security hole in its mandated From header field signing, repeated From header
fields often simply resulted from poorly automated responses.  Since such
errors directly affect DKIM's protection of header fields, DKIM should
considered such messages as having invalid signatures.  This would allow
subsequent processes an ability to use results headers without re-examining
message structure, nor does such overlooked checks appear in the Authentication
results header field.

>>> I'm not talking on how many mailboxes/domain there are in this header
>>
>> It would be wrong to assume SMTP will reject messages based on possible
>> RFC5322 violations.
>
> While SMTP implementations have been lenient, they have been lenient in a way
> which is contrary to this RFC.

It is not contrary.  SMTP is a store and forward protocol exchanging messages
over MTAs having changed little over decades.  There is no practical way to
negotiate format changes, such as those created by RFC 6854 for example.  For
SMTP to evolve, some change must be allowed.  Where the change is known to
place the integrity of DKIM signatures at risk, the signatures should not have
been considered valid.  Although a simple configuration switch offers a low
overhead solution, ignoring this change was a deliberate choice made by DKIM.

> The Postel statement indicates to be lenient when there is protocol
> ambiguity, not to allow anything but the kitchen sink when the protocol is
> clear about what headers must be present.

Why not fix the problem in the algorithm walking the header field stack from
the bottom up during signature validation?  It makes little since to now say
all such errors should be rejected.

> Therefore it is not wrong to assume SMTP will reject messages on protocol
> violations.

It is a protocol violation to reject messages because of some perceived error.
It would not be a protocol violation to assert a DKIM signature is invalid.
With that change, Authentication results headers could be trusted without
subsequent processing.  Why expect recipients to process messages a second
time?  Get it right the first time, especially where doing so is only a
software switch in most cases.

Regards,
Douglas Otis