On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:

> > 3.2 Organizational Domain
> >
> > I remain very concerned about this algorithm since I have been
> > previously told very specifically not to do this by the DNS folks. I'm
> > also concerned about the inconsistency (interoperability impact) that
> > could result from different operators using different public suffix
> lists.
>
> Everyone is concerned about it.  But it's the best that is currently
> available.

+1, and furthermore, -08's Section 3.2 and Appendix A.6 both admit the
current method is flawed and DMARC operators should switch to something
better as soon as such a thing becomes available.  I don't know what more
can be said at this point.

> > 4. Policy
> >
> > Paragraph 4 basically says, if you don't want a particular
> > authentication scheme to be considered by DMARC, don't use it at all.
> > For a domain that is using SPF and DMARC (for example), this could be an
> > impediment to their deployment of DKIM because they could not test with
> > it without having it immediately affect recipients' message handling.
> > One possibility would be to ignore DKIM if the testing (t=y) flag is
> > set, although a campaign would be needed to get the many domains
> > currently using t=y to turn it off. Another possibility would be to have
> > a setting in DMARC to ignore a specific authentication method entirely.
>
> The first possibility isn't viabile, for the reason cited.  The second
> possibility might be worth pursuing in the DMARC working group, rather
> than in a document that captures existing DMARC practice.
>
> There are, of course, other possibilities, such as not having DMARC
> pursue operational nuance that makes the spec more complex, trying to
> handle special cases.  That is, if a site isn't ready to use DMARC, it
> shouldn't.

The "pct" tag was also provided to address the concern that the impact of
enabling DMARC is uncertain.

> > 7.1 Verifying External Destinations
> >
> > Paragraph 3: "verification steps SHOULD be taken" These steps are to
> > protect another domain from attack. It needs to be a MUST.
>
> 6.1 in -08.
>
> Given the problems with the search for org domain, a SHOULD is as far as
> is practical here.
>
> I'd suggest noting that that's a reason this can't be a MUST.

I think it's SHOULD because at the time it was written, the verification
process was untested.  It's in production now (OpenDMARC implements it), so
I agree that a MUST is appropriate.

> > 8. Policy Discovery
>
> 5.6.3 in -08
>

> > Second-to-last paragraph: "If the RFC5322.From domain does not exist in
> > the DNS" is basically changing what RFC5321/5322 allow. This isn't the
> > place to be making fundamental changes to the behavior of email.
>
> It isn't meant to be.
>
> -08 text says:
>
>      "If the RFC5322.From domain does not exist in the DNS, Mail
>    Receivers
>    SHOULD direct the receiving SMTP server to reject the message.  The
>    choice of mechanism for such rejection and the implications of those
>    choices are discussed in Section 9.3."
>
> I suggest removing it.  Although a common anti-abuse mechanism, it's out
> of scope for DMARC.

I disagree.  DMARC operators all seem to apply this practice, so it's
correct to say that if you play this game, you reject mail from
non-existent domains.  Essentially in this way DMARC is a profile of
RFC5321/RFC5322, which is perfectly acceptable.  We are not updating those
standards here, merely profiling them.

> > 9. Domain Owner Actions
>
> 5.5 in -08
>
> > Last paragraph doesn't seem like it fits. Suggest it be removed.
>
> While I could imagine a better place for it in the doc, having a /terse/
> pointer like this to some authentication pedagogy seems useful to me, in
> an authentication-related spec...

+1.

> > 11.1 Discovery
> 6.2.1 in -08
>
> > Mail Receivers can also discover reporting requests from the
> > Organizational Domain. That should be mentioned here. But I'm a little
> > confused why we have another Discovery section at all.
>
> The text's use of the word 'corresponds' handles the mapping to org
> domain, IMO.

+1, and there isn't a second Discovery section anymore; there was a Great
Consolidation at around the -05 version.

> > 11.2.1 Email
> >
> > The whole thing about filenames needs to go away. Since it's only a
> > SHOULD requirement, the Report Receiver needs to be able to handle
> > reports that don't follow this format as well as those that do.
>
> "SHOULD" is a very strong normative statement. Note that it permits
> non-conformance only in the presence of singular knowledge by the
> non-conforming party.
>
> Filename labeling is generally considered useful.  Why wouldn't it be
> useful here?

+1, not to mention again that this is current practice among DMARC
operators and doesn't seem to be an issue so far.

> > 14.1 Data Exposure Considerations
> >
> > Last paragraph: what's an "unexpected Mail Receiver"?

Reworded.

> > The privacy consideration here, which isn't obvious from the wording, is
> > that users may currently use forwarding in a way that prevents the
> > sender from determining the ultimate delivery address. DMARC has the
> > potential to break that. This might be important in the case of a user
> > that is trying to distance themselves from a stalker.
>
> How is that a DMARC-specific 'exposure' consideration?

DMARC creates the exposure.  If A sends mail to B which forwards to C and
then to D, D can send reports back to A, revealing the forwarding
relationship from C to D.

Reworded to accommodate.

> > 14.2 Report Recipients
> >
> > Some potential exists for report recipients to perform traffic analysis:
> > to obtain metadata about the receiver's traffic. In addition to
> > verifying compliance with policies, receivers need to consider that
> > before sending reports to a third party.
>
> +1

Added.

-MSK