On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:

> > I disagree.  DMARC operators all seem to apply this practice, so it's
> > correct to say that if you play this game, you reject mail from
> > non-existent domains.  Essentially in this way DMARC is a profile of
> > RFC5321/RFC5322, which is perfectly acceptable.  We are not updating
> > those standards here, merely profiling them.
>
> The fact that its use happens to correlate with DMARC use is a
> distraction.  For example, there are plenty of operators who use apply
> this check but do not use DMARC.  If the test is documented in a
> specification, it should be in /one/ specification.  Putting it into the
> DMARC spec means it has to be documented somewhere else, for the folk
> who don't use DMARC.

This paragraph appears in the DMARC spec because the operators
participating all agreed that it should be part-and-parcel of this
operating profile of email.  It's not as happenstance as this sounds so
far; the very thrust of DMARC is to make the From: content believable, and
permitting a nonexistent domain name to make it to the inbox contradicts
that goal.

-MSK