On 12/24/2014 7:50 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> This paragraph appears in the DMARC spec because the operators
> participating all agreed that it should be part-and-parcel of this
> operating profile of email.  It's not as happenstance as this sounds so
> far; the very thrust of DMARC is to make the From: content believable,
> and permitting a nonexistent domain name to make it to the inbox
> contradicts that goal.

The goal, as you state it, is at the level of seeking world peace.  It
is very laudable and and very, very broad.  It covers vastly more than
the scope of DMARC.

DMARC is a specific bit of technology working towards that broader goal.
 That something happens to fall within this very broad scope does not
automatically justify documenting it within the much narrower scope of a
detailed specification, unless it is part of that specification's
technology.

The MX record check has no /technical/ relationship to the /technical/
details of DMARC.

Please note that I'm not commenting on the efficacy of the record check,
but on the need to document it in a place that makes sense for the full
range of its implementers.

There are, and will continue to be, plenty of operators using that check
but not DMARC.  That simple fact provides a very pragmatic reason for
moving its specification into some document outside of DMARC.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking