----- Original Message -----

I tried to understand Scott, and I think this is what is missing in RFC7208.

Each check_host() is meant to be done as soon as you have the data to do it.

So after the HELO phase in SMTP RFC5321, you do check_host(HELO identity, IP).
You get a result and apply the SPF policy (and disconnect if policy says so)
after the mail from phase, you do check_host(MAIL FROM identity, IP). You get a
result and apply the SPF policy (and disconnect if policy says so)

This makes sense then, except when SPF policy on both check_host is not -all

The difficulty then comes when you do these check_host() later in the RFC5321
transaction, as you have to emulate, this serialization.
And then there is still some uncertainty on what to do when both SPF records
exist and do not have -all both (or when receivers consider -all as ~all)

I think RFC7208 confused more this serialization, that was implicit in RFC4408,
like the elephant in the room. :P

To come back to operational matters, I think SPF implementations just do
check_host(MAIL FROM identity, IP) as Terry pointed out, this is why I suggest
DMARC spec could just say that: "DMARC uses only the MAIL FROM identity and
results of the check_host() of the MAIL FROM identity as defined in RFC7208)"

And we will fix RFC7208 later to match operational deployments, but this ought
to be recorded somewhere.

(add reporting to emails, and you get plenty new questions about
standardizations :P)