On January 22, 2015 6:17:28 PM EST, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>>DMARC leverages the Mail From identity, so I don't see how independent
>HELO checks can be relevant.
>
>If you look at sections 2.3 and 2.4 of RFC 7208, a reasonable
>interpretation is that you check the HELO identity, and if you get a
>"definitive policy" result, you're done and return that to the caller.
>
>So a message comes from host mail.provider.com with From:
>b...@customer.com.  The recipient host does an SPF check on
>mail.provider.com, it passes, so SPF is done.  DMARC sees that the SPF
>domain isn't aligned so it ignores it, and DMARC says it's unaligned,
>even though an SPF check of customer.com might have passed.
>
>I can't say whether this is a bug in 7208 or a fundamental flaw in
>DMARC, but something is clearly wrong and this does not match what
>running code does.  As things are written now, I don't see any way to
>demand that SPF look at the MAIL FROM if it likes the HELO.
>
>Fix 1: file an erratum on 7208 to say to switch the order, do the MAIL
>FROM check first and only do the HELO check otherwise.  This may match
>some running code, I haven't looked.
>
>Fix 2: change 7208 to say that SPF can return multiple results.  Ugh.

4408 and 7208 both suggest multiple calls to check_host() each with a single
result.

If I were configuring and SPF verifier to provide an input to DMARC processing,
then I would probably configure it not to reject based on SPF fail.  Then the
problem doesn't arise.

This really is a non-issue.

Scott K