Michael Jack Assels writes:

 >    A domain SHOULD NOT publish a p=reject policy if it will emit mail
 >    intended to be mediated with modifications by another domain unless
 >    the mediating domain is exempted from the policy by [fill in the
 >    eventually approved mechanism(s)].

That won't work; you don't want to exempt mediating domains, you want
to exempt specific mail flows destined for those domains.

Anyway, I seem to recall that discouraging wording was in drafts
around a year ago (but not at the level of SHOULD NOT, since searching
for SHOULD NOT doesn't find it).  But even a SHOULD NOT wouldn't have
any effect, as representatives of the "errant domains" take the postion
that "we didn't *want* to, but we were *forced* to publish p=reject".

 > That would at least nudge errant ESPs away from their misguided
 > ways,

Yahoo! claims that malicious mail flows of over 1 million messages per
minute went away like magic when they published p=reject.  An RFC
nudge won't be noticed compared to the business consequences of that.

 > and the rest of us can honor p=reject without losing any
 > sleep over it.

But that's not a problem any more.  Go ahead, honor p=reject.  Mailing
lists have been forced to adopt mitigation measures because the errant
domains themselves honor p=reject, and I don't know what 3rd-party
originators have done -- mostly closed up shop, I suppose.