On 4/29/15 12:09 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Franck Martin writes:
>
>  > I think we should refrain to blame anything or anyone.
>
> I think that there is no solution attractive to email users possible
> without naming names.
>
> AFAIK[1], it is a fact that the problems that have made "DMARC" a
> four-letter word across the Internet are almost entirely due to the
> unilateral decisions to publish "p=reject" by *two* domains.  Call
> that "blaming" if you like, but that fact matters because any *good*
> mitigation[2] involves their participation.
>
> The only alternative I can see to participation by those specific
> domains (and any domains producing similar mailflows that may publish
> p=reject in the future) is a general agreement among DMARC receivers
> to treat "p=reject" as purely advisory (say, -2 spam points if
> alignment is verified in SpamAssassin).  I know you don't like that
> weakening of the protocol, and I don't think it's a good idea, either.
> DMARC is a great protocol for direct mail streams, proven in practice.
Dear Stephen,

An update of Dmarc-Escape draft attempts to unbury what
should be a workable solution.  Once DMARC libraries are
updated to support an addition that includes a requested
policy of "public", the cooperation of problematic domains
should quickly become a minor concern.   Domains making
misleading assertions regarding their email alignment
practices, especially in regard to exchanges involving
public email would only require a small override to be
imposed where an inappropriate "reject" becomes "public".
In that case, the Domain Owner wishes for Mail Receivers to
reject email that fails a modified DMARC alignment mechanism
check will now include the Sender header field or the first
email address in a multiple From header field.   Failure can
only result in Quarantine thereby making DMARC far more
compatible with SMTP while also better ensuring against
misleading policy assertions and undetected phishing.

Domain reputation remains an effective tool when narrowed to
specific criteria.  The current situation where Author
identity of a message being munged is not sustainable nor safe.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-otis-dmarc-escape-02

Regards,
Douglas Otis