On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Kurt Andersen (b) <kb...@drkurt.com> wrote:

> * Update the AAR definition section (formerly 5.1) using Seth's suggested
> 7601bis wording (also adjusting for feedback that came in on the list) and
> annotating the section to be adjusted if we can kick off the 7601bis work
> in a timely fashion;

I plan to start a 7601bis effort to support what ARC needs, possibly over
the holidays, certainly in time for IETF 101.

Usage:
> * Incorporate Seth's "experiment" write-up as an "open questions" section
> with various adjustments to the wording to reflect the "open questions we
> would like to understand" adjustment.

Whoa, no.  This belongs in the main protocol document, because it is the
experiment.  And that document is still showing "Standards Track".  Didn't
we reach consensus on the experimental route for the protocol document?

Some other stuff after a quick glance at the diff:

I like the addition of a "Protocol Elements" section.  However, I'm
becoming increasingly uneasy with the term "Chain of Custody".  To me,
perhaps from watching too many legal shows, that term is in effect a blob
of metadata applied to some object as a way of showing who transported it
from A to B (i.e., a handling chain), but in no way is that material
modified in transit.  If we have such an immutable payload here, I'm not
clear on what that is.  To me, ARC is more of an audit trail that
incorporates a record of changes to the object as well as who handled it.

I thought discussion had led to registration of "header.s" instead of
"header.ds" and ARC would just use that plus "header.d" to provide the
required information.  This version still contains "header.ds".

Finally, not specific to this version, but: Do we need the section on
algorithm rotation?  DKIM didn't have that in RFC7601, and DCRUP which is
adding ECC to DKIM has far less to say on the matter (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dcrup-dkim-crypto-07#section-6).  I
suspect, therefore, that we could get away with a more minimalist
approach.  Alternatively, do we have experience in any other protocol of
doing this kind of algorithm rotation pattern to success?

-MSK