On 11/8/2018 1:19 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:53 PM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it
<mailto:ves...@tana.it>> wrote:

    > and maybe it can solve the "PSL problem" if we can constrain the problem
    > space to just the DMARC issues instead of recreating the
    > DBOUND-solve-for-all morass.

    This problem is simpler than DBOUND.  Looking up text policies is
    common to a
    handful of protocols.  A careful wording might make some
    statements reusable in
    general, even if the focus is kept on DMARC.

Sure, the DMARC case is half of what DBOUND tried to tackle.  If
DBOUND had focused just on the DMARC use case, it would've succeeded.

If possible, we should be careful to create a solution that's
extensible to other use cases, not exclusive of them.  Reviewing what
DBOUND tried to do might be very instructive here.

+1 (although I am not too keen on depending on a new RRTYPE)

I think we should be focusing on working on a DMARC proposed standard, Standard Track status document and codify the many implementation issues, including:

  - The Author Domain identity (ADID) policy Lookup procedure with
    support for minimal organizational lookup concepts,

  - alignment issues (clarifications),

  - rejection logic (clarifications), and

  - ADID Rewriting implementation logic for List Systems, in order to
    maintain (as much as possible) the original organizational POLICY
    security.

The above are the key implementation issues I am currently going through as I am updating/migration/augmenting DMARC into my existing ADSP/ATPS/DKIM package but one where we would like to finally add and honor the (risky) policy disposition logic (rejection, quarantine).

For all these years, we did the Auth-Res header generation/recording with the idea of using a future filtering module. We are at this point now, especially since the industry has finally "accepted" after more than a decade, the original proof of concept, DKIM Author Domain Policy model.

Anyway, there is good new proposed work, but in my opinion, since this is really all time consuming (and costly), and it will take a long time, I think we should view the new work as part of DMARC and finally focus on working on the IETF-sanctioned DMARC "Standard Track" status specification and get all the learned implementation details codified and worked out.

Have a good weekend,

Hector Santos/CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.