I don't understand why this topic is debatable.

We are faced with a constant stream of mail which we do not want. We need to
block the nuisance stuff as well as the dangerous stuff, so that the important
stuff gets processed in a timely manner, and so that our labor efforts can be
spent on things more productive than reading nuisance emails. Ergo, if a
message contains a lie, I want to block it. If the identifier is a lie, the
content will not be any better. IETF settled on standards for filtering
identifiers because it is simply more feasible than filtering free-form text.

As to consequences: Was no one present during the 2016 election cycle, when a
phony GMAIL password reset compromised a U.S. Presidential campaign? I'll admit
that I have not seen that specific message's From header, but supposedly it
convinced John Podesta and his I.T. person, so I am pretty confident the From
domain was "@gmail.com", not sstealyourd...@badguys.r.us"

Someone said that the Sender Address is all we can trust. Nonsense. The only
thing that is "true" in an email header is the IP Address, and that is true
only if the recipient assumes that no nation state has a NAT-translating device
in front of their internet connection. Everything else can and will be
fraudulent at times.

As to identifiers: The RFC 5321 MAILFROM sender is intended, at least in my
understanding, to represent the login account used to create the message, while
the RFC 5322 From Header represents the "speaker", the person whose ideas are
being represented by the content. It matters if someone puts words in someone
else's mouth, and From fraud is exactly that type of fraud.

It is reasonable to require senders to demonstrate authority to speak on behalf
of someone else. DMARC provides two ways to demonstrate that authority: if
there is domain alignment, the implication is that the security environment of
the sender domain has chosen to allow one sender to act as agent for another,
because it would be in their power to prevent him from doing so.. Therefore
intra-domain agency is not a significant concern to the recipient. However,
when the sender address (login account) represents a different security domain
than the sender address, the recipient has no reason to ignore the discrepancy.
The DKIM signature is the alternative credential which demonstrates authority
to send on behalf of the From address entity..

I simply cannot grasp how DMARC conflicts with RFC 5321 or RFC 5322, inhibits
authorship, or creates any other attribution problem. This assertion was simply
not explained.

Feel free to do this test to see if From address matters: Start sending
inflammatory stuff with a From address @WHITEHOUSE.GOV to major news
organizations or foreign governments around the world. See how long it takes
the Secret Service to pay you a visit.

As to visibility: The business world still runs on Microsoft Outlook, and
Outlook presents the From Address when a message is read. So it is odd to
assert that no one ever sees that data. The real scandal is that the Sender
Address is never displayed. It would be very interesting if MUAs would say
From: market...@bigretailer.com
by: bigretai...@massmailer.com
Whose ideas was it to keep the sender secret?

If the integrity of identifiers does not matter, why are we here?

Doug Foster