On Monday, June 15, 2020 2:19:22 PM EDT Jesse Thompson wrote:
> On 6/15/20 12:44 PM, John Levine wrote:
> > In article <1ef0572d-a83c-ad97-9c0d-5f5615ab1...@wisc.edu> you write:
> > They both claim they're working on ARC.
> >
> >> So, solution 1.3 has been naturally selected.  Does it need to be
> >> standardized, or is a BCP good enough? I'd still like to see a solution
> >> for receivers to "un-munge" trustworthy messages in a safe and
> >> consistent way.  Is that where ARC comes in?
> >
> > No.  ARC lets mail systems accept list mail without munging.
>
> How will a random intermediary know if random destination has implemented
> ARC and will trust their claim?  Even domains hosted by SaaS providers will
> have their own ARC reputation to manage, and might have to do things like
> configure munging on a per-recipient/domain basis, assuming the SaaS
> provider grants that level of control.  It's safer and easier to munge
> everything.

They won't.  Bypassing DMARC based on ARC requires some level of trust in the
source of the message.

> Even if you ignore my line of reasoning, I think that Ale made in the OP a
> compelling case that the practice of From rewriting is here to stay.

As a practical matter, that's certainly true for the short to medium term, but
it doesn't follow that the IETF should standardize the practice.

To follow-up on Brandon's note about Google's use of ARC, it's bigger than
mailing lists and so is this problem.  It's any intermediary that modifies a
message in such a manner that DKIM fails (SPF is only useful for direct source
ADMD to destination ADMD tranmissions).

I suspect that by hyper focusing on mailing lists, we're missing part of the
problem.

Scott K