On 6/17/20 12:11 PM, Pete Resnick wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2020, at 13:27, Dave Crocker wrote:
>
>> DMARC has nothing to do with display of author information to a
>> recipient, and everything to do with differential handling by a
>> receiving filtering engine.  Were the Sender: field always present,
>> that would be the one that DMARC should have used.
>
> It could have chosen the more complicated, "Sender unless not present,
> in which case From". But yes, this bit I get. That said, there are
> people who have argued that From: was chosen because Sender: was not
> displayed. I think that's a silly argument, but it's one that people
> still believe.

I'm trying to understand why alignment to any header field is important
to DMARC in that case. If whatever it's aligning to is not visible, the
sender can trivially achieve alignment by choosing the From: (or
Sender:, whatever) address to match the domain of the DKIM signature
and/or envelope-from address. I don't see how that contributes at all to
differential handling by a receiving filtering engine. If it's because
From: is visible, the address part of From is getting to be a lot less
visible, plus typical users will ignore the address anyway.

And if From: alignment doesn't matter, the mailing list can just sign
the message and no rewriting is needed.

-Jim