On 6/20/2020 1:08 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
It wouldn't be hard to put a draft together that described the trivial
things like Subject field tagging and "two dashes at the end mark the
start of a signature', and maybe a couple of popular and mostly
harmless mutations the popular list servers do.  I might know someone
who could help with such a publication.

(I can hear Dave and Pete, and perhaps Jim, chortling at my altruism...)

Were I to chortle about any of this, it would be at the idea that any serious effort associated with email authentication could be considered altruistic...

In terms of pragmatics, I think the issues here are time and risk.  To get to a useful point will take too long for the current working group effort, and, given history and environment, its likelihood of being successful seems pretty low.

That doesn't mean that none of it is worth pursuing, but rather than it might be worth considering independently of the current work and initially as IRTF-ish work, rather than IETF-ish.

Perhaps if the effort were viewed as a staged sequence, over an extended time.  Staging along the lines of:

 * Document a modest number of highly common 'patterns' of mailing list
   patterns.
 * Get reasonable community support (rough consensus) for the document
   -- including from MLM developers and operators
 * Formulate survivable authentication choices
 * Get reasonable community support for that approach
 * ...

d/

--
Dave Crocker