> On 23 Sep 2020, at 22:49, Seth Blank <seth=40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org>
> wrote:
>
> As Chairs, we'd like to push for more discussion of this topic.
>
> I've heard some discussion that this distinction belongs in a BCP, not the
> base spec, but regardless of where text lands (and it certainly shouldn't be
> normative language) the Chairs strongly believe that having rough consensus
> on clear definitions is key to progressing the bis effort effectively. We
> strongly agree with Dave Crocker's position here:
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/XXE3r5FUozl6LVohv8rTkn5QG4E/
> <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/XXE3r5FUozl6LVohv8rTkn5QG4E/>
>
> Original thread:
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/8f3AMoQ_7e3i7zEFTTtK-KnDgzI/
> <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/8f3AMoQ_7e3i7zEFTTtK-KnDgzI/>
> Follow up thread from Todd Herr:
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/zHti6fc5Rs4SmfMB3jVK_DQnemA/
> <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/zHti6fc5Rs4SmfMB3jVK_DQnemA/>
>
> To repaste the original context for this conversation:
>
> Many different entities participate in DMARC, and to each, there is a
> different definition of what is needed to "implement" or participate in DMARC.
>
> Should the spec be clear about the different participants, and what it means
> for each to participate partially and completely?
>
> As a straw man to start conversation (assume this is all wrong):
>
> The domain owner:
>     - partially participating: valid record?
>     - complete participation: no part of the domain hierarchy can be spoofed
> by an unauthenticated sender?
>
> The receiver/MTA:
>     - partially participating: validates DMARC?
>     - complete participation: validates DMARC and ARC, and sends aggregate
> reports?
>
> The intermediary (is this different than a receiver?):
>     - partially: validates DMARC?
>     - complete participation: validates DMARC and validates and seals ARC?

The service provider / outgoing MTA (think SendGrid or other bulk MTAs)
- partially participating: allows domain owner to verify using DKIM or SPF
- fully participating: allows domain owner to verify using both DKIM and SPF

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741