Restating what we all know:
- The Internet is dependent on the reliable operation of the DNS name system.
- The DNS name system is dependent on the reliable operation of the name
registration processes.
- The registrars are given ownership of all unregistered domain names within
their portion of the hierarchy.
- The public evidence of registration is the existence of a DNS entry, and a NS
record is always the first one configured.

Conclusions
- Unregistered use of any domain name is an attack on the architecture of the
Internet.
- PSD for DMARC is asking us to give public suffix operators what they are
supposed to already have:   control over unregistered names.
- We should implement new and universal policies:- Unregistered names used as
SMTP addresses MUST generate SPF FAIL and SHOULD be rejected.- Unregistered
names used as message From header addresses MUST generate DMARC FAIL and SHOULD
be rejected.

Protecting the integrity of the name registration system is not an optional
activity to be implemented by a few organizations with the most sophisticated
implementations of the DMARC specification.   It should be a mandatory duty of
every legitimate participant on the network.

Starting from the assumption that unregistered domains might be allowable
creates many problems when trying to design solutions for protecting the names
that are registered.   This assumption needs to be rejected.

Addressing some straw-man questions:
Q:  The idea is fine for public suffixes, but my organization doesn't need to
do that for subdomains under its control.
A:  Every level of the DNS tree needs coordination of name usage.    Publishing
an NS record for an organization subdomain proves that the organization's
process has been followed.   Besides, the boundary between public suffixes and
organizational domains is imprecise, so recipients cannot be expected to apply
differential expectations.

Q: My business partner and I exchange information using unregistered
subdomains, and it is working fine.   Leave me alone.
A: Of course, senders can register with recipients, to obtain a filtering
exception, as an alternative to registering in the public DNS.   But the
default behavior should be to block messages.   Note that private use of
unregistered subdomains may cause subsequent conflicts if the organization
assigns the name to another purpose.

Q. How do we get all incoming filters to change to default block for
unregistered domain names?
A.  I would suggest using the CVE/CCE process.

Q. What does this mean for the PSD for DMARC process?
A.  I think it becomes unnecessary.   Getting all participants to block all
unregistered domains is a better goal, and can probably be achieved more
easily.   It should involve relatively simple software changes, minimal DNS
load, and minimal evaluation-time overhead.

Doug Foster