On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 3:12 PM Douglas E. Foster <fosterd=
40bayviewphysicians....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> - If unregistered domains are tolerated, PSD for DMARC helps address the
> problem of a unauthorized domains underneath a public suffix, such as "
> example.uk".  But what DMARC policy will solve the problem of an invalid
> TLD, such as "example.q"?

Why is this a DMARC problem that needs solving?

- If unregistered domains are tolerated, then a limited-scope tree walk
> becomes unusable.   A spammer would be able to  fabricate a few levels of
> non-existent subdomains, and suddenly PayPal.com becomes a domain tree with
> no detectable DMARC policy.

You're going to have to give us an example of what you're imagining here.
Presumably fabricating a few levels of non-existent subdomains of paypal.com
would look like foo.bar.baz.paypal.com; a simple tree walk then would be to
look for records in these places:

foo.bar.baz.paypal.com
bar.baz.paypal.com
baz.paypal.com
paypal.com

I would expect a policy to be present at least at "paypal.com", so the walk
stops there.  How is that "unusable"?

The PSL mechanism is a heuristic allowing a short-cut from the top one to
the bottom one, so there are only two lookups, based on the PSL which
provides a hint about where to jump after the first query.  But the PSL has
aspects of its management that are not desirable, and the tree walk is an
alternative.

Besides, a scope-limited tree walk conflicts with the requirements of PSD
> for DMARC.

Well sure; as I understand it, a tree walk would obviate the need for PSD.

An unlimited-scope tree walk has performance risks to both the evaluator
> and the DNS infrastructure.

So the theory goes.  I believe what John is saying is that he's asked the
DNS community, and they no longer think it's a concern, which means we
don't need to worry at least about the latter, and the former is probably
at least partially resolved by caching.

-MSK