On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 4:28 AM Laura Atkins <la...@wordtothewise.com> wrote:

> On 3 Dec 2020, at 06:03, Jim Fenton <fen...@bluepopcorn.net> wrote:
>
> On 2 Dec 2020, at 1:47, Laura Atkins wrote:
>
> p=quarantine is quite useful, particularly for those folks who are trying
> to get to a p=reject state.
>
> In practice, senders who publish p=none don’t find all of the indirect
> mail flows as some mailing lists do nothing to transform the 5322.from
> address for a p=none policy. Senders have found that when they switch from
> p=none to p=quarantine pct=0 they regularly find mail that was not failing
> for a p=none.
>

> I’m really confused by this. It sounds like the 5322.from address
> rewriting is creating additional errors that didn’t exist beforehand, and
> that’s the opposite of the intended purpose. Isn’t the purpose of rewriting
> the 5322.from address to change the domain to that of the mediator, which
> should redirect reporting to the mediator rather than the original sender?
>

> What I am trying to say is that as I understand it from the folks who
> professionally deploy DMARC, they regularly use p=quarantine pct=0 as part
> of the deployment process. There are DMARC failures that go undetected in a
> p=none situation but that is detected in a p=quarantine  pct=0 situation.
> My understanding was this was related to indirect flows through mailing
> lists and how mailing lists are handling the header transformation but it’s
> possible I got that piece incorrect.

Time was (and may still be) that there was a very specific type of mailing
list for which p=quarantine, pct=0 was required to get accurate DMARC
reporting, and that was for mail that transited Google groups. There've
been a couple of public discussions of the topic over on mailop, including
a thread from April 2018 with the subject of "DMARC p=quarantine pct=0".

--

*Todd Herr* | Sr. Technical Program Manager
*e:* todd.h...@valimail.com

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.