On 1 Dec 2020, at 17:42, Steven M Jones wrote:

On 12/1/20 4:16 PM, Douglas Foster wrote:

I really hope no casual readers get the impression that DMARC bypasses spam filtering. DMARC evaluations are expected to be independent of spam evaluations. If there's any overlap here, perhaps it would be for DMARC (and/or underlying protocols) to provide reliable domain attribution to drive a local policy decision about filtering.

Agree about not bypassing spam filtering. But not about the “independent of spam evaluations” part. Spam filters are going to use any message characteristic that they find useful, including whether the message is signed, passes SPF, has an aligned From address, has a DMARC record of a certain type, etc. to make a decision. It’s what spam filters do, and we have no say about that.

-Jim