On 12/2/2020 5:17 AM, Dotzero wrote:
You are absolutely correct. It also doesn't prevent direct domain abuse when someone uses snail mail.

I suppose, with some effort, you could have offered an even less useful example.  But since I was being quite serious about the qualification I offered and since it's important to be clear about DMARC's scope of utility, a more useful example is that DMARC does nothing about use of the domain name anywhere else in a message. Not the display name, not the Subject line and not the Body.

As mitigation of direct abuse goes, that means that DMARC's scope of mitigation is impressively narrow.

For most things involving significant threats, such a narrow effect would not comfortably be described with the implication of such a broader scope as you (and others) use.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
dcroc...@gmail.com