In article <123e18e2-71ab-4946-b886-a12a735aa...@wordtothewise.com> you write:
>There is absolutely nothing stopping a phisher from taking advantage of this.
>In fact, phishers currently do send DMARC verified email where the
>domain in the 5322.from is unrelated to the links in the message or to the
>domain being phished.
>
>This seems to me to be a step along the path of making DMARC irrelevant by
>teaching recipients that mail with a 5322.from address they don’t
>recognize is legitimate email.

We went through this same argument with DKIM 15 years ago, explaining
over and over to people who imagined that DKIM was a magic whitelist
bullet that a DKIM signature by itself tells you nothing. It's only
useful if you know something, good or bad, about the domain.

Similarly, DMARC alignment tells you nothing unless you also have a
reputation for the domain. I have trouble imagining why anyone would
think it's a good idea to get alignment by using third party domains
that recipients don't know.

R's,
John