Hi,

another season, another "From rewriting" proposal. Once again, it more
or less amounts to wishing mailing lists away. So let me try to
articulate precisely what is wrong with all those approaches:

A) The From field

1) The From field semantics are important not just for interoperability
with software systems, but also for "interoperability" with us *humans*,
which makes them especially hard to change :-) This human meaning is
twofold:

a) the "friendly From" conveys *authorship*, that is the (possibly
pseudonymal) identity of an *natural person* who claims credit and
accepts responsibility for the content.

A corporate entity such as a domain is *not* an author. And whatever the
"moderation" mechanism, a censor is just that, and will never be an
author either.

b) the address part provides a *contact point* for the above-defined
author, that must be as much as possible *stable* and under the control
of an entity *trusted by the author*.

2) All proposed "From rewriting" mechanisms fail at least one of the
above requirements. The traditional mechanism blurs the authorship, by
introducing a false sense of *affiliation*. This message is authored by
"Baptiste Carvello", not "IETF" or even "Baptiste Carvello by IETF". I
demand full credit, and I'm sure IETF happily lets me bear full
responsibility.

Any mechanism that rewrites the address alone gives a wrong idea of the
contact point and thus possibly "hijacks" communication attempts. The
present proposal is especially egregious in that is does so without any
hint to the reader. If this happened to me, I would feel like I'm
subject to identity theft, sorry to say.

In fact, I lied, the "unwrapping" mechanism could meet both
requirements. Except that it is vaporware that no MUA has expressed
interest in implementing. And that for all practical purposes, it would
be equivalent to disabling DMARC for mailing-list traffic. Quite a
loophole, right?

B) Mailing lists

2) Specifically, the present proposal fails to take into account that
mailing lists are fundamentally different from "closed-group
communication systems", not by deficiency, but by *design*.
Interoperability with direct e-mail, including the possibility to
privately reply to the author (or to temporarily invite non-members by
just CC-ing them), is a necessary feature, not a "security hazard" to be
fixed.

3) Many (most?) mailing lists are not "intended to be a closed group"
living only in the "environment" of their hosting domain. They are
communication channels for open communities that have an autonomous
existence, and as such should be resilient even to the loss of their
mailing-list provider (if it closes shop, or "turns evil"). The
community can then only be rescued if users know each-other's real
addresses. Aliases would fail you precisely when you need them most!

C) Now what
be bounced, but *ignored*. The rationale is twofold:

1) Bounces produce no useful result whatsoever, as they never reach back
to the originating domain. All they can do is have the recipient users
delisted.

2) DMARC incorporates its own reporting mechanism, which goes to the
right place.

Once DMARC-compliant receivers do this, mailing list operators can
remove their workarounds and happily get out of the way. Messages would
be lost at first, but DMARC-compliant senders and receivers would
collectively bear responsibility for solving *their* problem.

Field-testing new solutions would be easier with only two partners, both
involved in the DMARC community, than with three. I expect those
solutions to be ARC + something…

Cheers,
Baptiste