"Bad idea" is a subjective term, and irrelevant.

The purpose of technical standards is not to get somebody elected, it is to
define solutions to problems.  The critical question is whether a proposal
provides the best available solution to a problem.

I wonder if the mailing list community is actually content with the status
quo, and there is no problem to be solved.   Is From-munging only a minor
nuisance, one that is useful for abusing with friends, but not otherwise
important?

The chairs told us, over a year ago, that DMARCbis would only get approved
if we "solved" the mailing list problem.   I see no reason to conclude that
anything approaching a solution has been put on the table until now.   So I
have been motivated to find a viable solution.  Is change needed or not?
 You tell me.

There simply is no technical solution to the requirement "lists must be
allowed to do things that others cannot, and this must be allowed without
lists having to pre-register themselves with all of their recipient
organizations."   If you want change, you need to relax the constraints
because this constraint is unsolvable.

I defined a complete solution as one that:

   - Produces allow-by-default, even when an unknown list sends a message
   from an unknown author to a new subscriber organization.
   - Allows list messages to be reliably whitelisted from content filters
   that have caused false positives.
   - Protects the list from spoofing.
   - Permits both user-to-list and user-to-user communication

The rest of my proposal flowed from those requirements, and I concluded
that the net benefits are substantial.

If you want weaker requirements, we might be able to produce a weaker
solution.   But do we even have a weaker solution defined?   If so, what
results does it produce, and with what reliability?

Doug