On October 6, 2021 11:37:26 PM UTC, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>It appears that Alessandro Vesely  <ves...@tana.it> said:
>>Doug's emphasis on aliases tends to give that impression.  Otherwise it can
>>finally be a much needed attempt at formalizing the old, known From:
>>rewriting.
>
>To point out what I would think is obvious, formalizing a bad idea doesn't make
>it any less bad an idea.

Agreed.

To give a specific example:

The mobile mail client I use (K-9 Mail) will either display friendly name or
email address.  Due to the compact user interface, both isn't an option.

There's one Google Group I'm a member of with a number of users with DMARC
p=reject domains, so their addresses are rewritten to the list address.  As a
result, when people don't bother to say who they are in a message, I end up
digging through the message header to find out who wrote it.

This is not a good user experience.  It's not salvageable.

Scott K