On November 1, 2021 10:51:13 PM UTC, Dotzero <dotz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 6:08 PM Tobias Herkula <tobias.herk...@1und1.de>
>wrote:
>
>> Yes this is used in a significant way, dropping the mechanic of the
>> org-domain would make a lot of things in processing inbound mail streams a
>> lot more complicated.
>>
>> The PSL does not exists for DKIM or DMARC, it is a product of the CAB
>> forum. And the idea was borrowed for DMARC, but without it, DMARC will have
>> a hard time, and depending standards as well. I don't want to discuss how
>> good or bad BIMI is, but without an "org-domain" it doesn't work. But if
>> DMARC as one of the base requirements for BIMI drops the "org-domain"
>> mechanic, you really need to produce a better alternative than, simply
>> stating that things that are currently OK to do, are not used by enough
>> entities and could be abandoned.
>>
>> I see a couple billion mails per week and can assure you that 5322.From's
>> with a Sub-Domain but signed with the org-domain are a regular picture of
>> totally valid mail streams, and this whole concept goes even deeper for
>> large mail processors. It makes a huge difference for measuring reputation
>> and responsibilities. And I think that this should be the baseline for the
>> discussion here. As a mail receiver, I would at least assume, I and most of
>> my colleagues use the org-domain concept to pin responsibilities to a clear
>> and dedicated entity. If we abandon this, we are opening additional attack
>> vectors without any increase in functionality and even increasing the
>> complexity for almost all parties, only for the sake of getting the PSL out
>> of the equation.
>>
>> Querying the PSL in a compiled trie data structure is much faster than
>> even doing one DNS request, and even with the private part of the PSL this
>> is a couple MB of memory. I get Mails that are larger than downloading the
>> PSL once per day for a year. So why are we having this discussion? I know
>> the PSL is not perfect, and I'm totally in for change if something doesn't
>> work, but we have seen that DBound didn't made it and there are no real
>> heavy usage PSL alternatives.
>>
>> And one thing I really don't get, why do we want to solve that so heavily
>> that we use scare tactics with phrasing like "if we don't solve it now, we
>> would need to write another RFC in a couple of years", isn't that totally
>> fine, for a standard to evolve and update it if it needs an update?
>>

>Thank you for your voice of reason Tobias. It would appear that some are
>willing to create a larger problem in order to address a smaller problem.

Let me assure you, I'm not trying to break anything, very much the opposite.
It's difficult for people like me without access to tons of data to generalize
from what we do have.  It appears that some of my assumptions are in error, so
we shouldn't act on them.

That said, I don't think BIMI's needs should be a factor in the DMARC design.
If BIMI needs an org domain and it turns out DMARC doesn't, then they can
define it to support their needs.

I think we've just started a conversation on how to address change (if any) in
the DMARC alignment algorithm.  We're nowhere near the end, so please don't
panic.

Scott K