I need some clarification.

Threat risk
---------------
You confirmed that the PSL has many potential uses, which confirmed my
suspicions.  But your conclusions are different.  I have been working from
the assumption that "PSL=TRUE" is equivalent to  "DENY=(feature1, feature2,
feature3, etc).   I don't see any benefit to an attacker from disabling an
Internet feature on his own domain name.

- For email, PSL=TRUE means we are denying that this name can be used for
DMARC alignment (or any other email purpose.)  This increases the
likelihood that email will be rejected.

- For XSS, PSL=TRUE means we are denying that this name can be used for
website alignment.   This increases the likelihood that web requests will
be blocked as dangerous.

- For certificates, PSL=TRUE means we are denying that this name can be
used to issue certificates.   This increases the likelihood that fraudulent
certificates will be blocked, rather than warning the user and allowing him
to proceed.

The organization always begins at the first segment down the tree which is
not a PSL.   So it is not a meaningful statement to ask whether two PSLs
belong to the same organization.

Complexity
---------------
You said that a single PSL=TRUE is all that we need.    I infer that all of
these features are likely to have different scope, which is why some people
want onto the publicsuffix.org list even though we don't want them listed
for DMARC purposes.    To implement multiple scopes, you need a scope
selector that can produce multiple results.   So I need help understanding
why PSL=TRUE would be preferable to DENY=<featurelist>.

Multiple Policies
----------------------
I support multiple DMARC policies because I believe it will increase the
likelihood that some portion of the organization will feel free to publish
p=reject and/or sp=reject, even if the organization-level policy is trapped
at p=none, sp=none.   The value of multiple policy layers increases with
the complexity of the organization.   As discussed in this forum, the
decision-making and control structure of universities can be complex, so
multiple policies allows an implementation which reflects that complexity.

The tree walk stops when a policy is found.   Given the apparently flat
nature of most email addresses, and the other complexities of email
filtering, I don't see that DNS lookups are a significant design
consideration.

Doug Foster