I don't think that's the question we want to try and answer in this working
group.  That's roughly the question dbound tried and failed to answer.

If I could reframe the question, I would make it "Is it feasible that DNS flags
could provide a less-bad replacement for the PSL for DMARC".  We have already
attempted to solve the larger question and failed. Let's not repeat the
experience.

Fundamentally, I think the questions you are asking are outside the IETF's
remit.  They aren't technical questions that we are equipped to address.

It won't surprise you to hear that my answer to the question as I've modified
it is yes.  I think if we clearly and concisely describe the risks with certain
aspects of DMARC record publication by PSDs it will mostly work out through
either contractual requirements outside the IETF's scope or market forces.

I'll offer that in the early days of SPF there were several DNS providers that
decided to 'help' their customers by automatically publishing an SPF record for
them that said their customers only sent mail through their infrastructure.  As
far as I'm aware, that practice eventually died out because it raised support
costs and had negative reputational effects on the providers.

I think that it'll be similar for PSDs and DMARC.  Where there aren't
contractual limits in place, some entities will publish problematic records,
but market forces will fix it as needed.

Let's not try to boil the ocean.  Let's focus on what's in our scope.

Scott K