It appears that Alessandro Vesely  <ves...@tana.it> said:
>On Sun 19/Dec/2021 21:42:16 +0100 Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> If the domain owner has suggested that you reject mail from a sub-domain
>> that has none of A, AAAA, or MX records, why would you not do that?

>Then it turns out that one can also define DMARC record at some non-existing
>sub domains, possibly as an alternative to using np=...  Now this begins to
>look puzzling.

Only if you misunderstand the way the DNS works. If there is a txt
record for _dmarc.foo.bar, that means the name foo.bar exists. It may
not have any records, but it exists. That's the difference between a
DNS NXDOMAIN response for a non-existent domain and NOERROR for one
with no records. The difference is not an accident, not a mistake, and
is not going to change. See for example RFC 8020.

>The reason to introduce np= was to select domains that really don't exist.
>Why
>don't we stick to that definition?

Yes indeed, why don't we, and end this pointless argument?

R's
John