On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 4:31 AM Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com>
wrote:

> I don't remember exactly why we settled on A/ AAAA/ MX, but the lack of a
> clear, actionable definition is why we included one. Lack of DNS records
> related to email authentication only means lack of email authentication,
> which is in no way required.  Given the way most systems are typically
> architected, by the time you are doing email authentication, A or AAAA and
> MX will already be in the local cache, so this is a pretty inexpensive
> thing to check.

It comes from SMTP itself.  RFC 5321 and its antecedent(s) specify that to
identify the next hop for a message needing routing, you look up the MX for
the recipient's domain.  If that's missing, you try the A/AAAA for that
same name.  If that's also missing, the message is undeliverable.

Since that test has worked well for SMTP for rather a long time, DMARC
adopted it.

-MSK