On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 11:02 AM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If a.b.example.com is considered aligned with c.example.com under
> RFC7489, but will be considered unaligned under DMARCbis, then we have a
> pretty significant incompatibility and need to move to DMARCv2.
>
> In the current example of comparing a.b.example.com and c.example.com to
> each other:  if there is a shared DMARC policy at example.com, why would
> we not consider the two names in alignment?

The alignment is because of the parent domain, not because of the sibling
domains. A distinctly different situation.

> In the case of organizations that lease subdomains, do both the subdomains
> and the parent domain send email and publish DMARC policies?   If so, then
> we are back to needing a PSL.

The practice can/will vary. There isn't a need for a PSL if alignment is
not allowed based on a sibling domain's published policy. There would still
be potential problems with alignment based on the parent domain but nowhere
near as ugly.

Michael Hammer