On July 9, 2022 5:07:43 PM UTC, Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

>>> Yeah, /should/!  The very fact that you yourself changed your mind about
>>> how it works, without going into the hassle of explaining your reasoning,
>>
>> Um, what?  Scott and I went through some rounds of debugging to be sure the
>> tree walk handled some obscure edge cases in a reasonable way.  It was all
>> on this very mailing list with examples.  I think what we have now is OK but
>> if you find something in the tree walk that is unclear or gets an
>> unreasonable result, let us know, preferably with a concrete example.
>

>I think I received all list messages (although I don't check against your
>weekly count) an I read all of them.  Perhaps I've been inattentive, but I
>don't recall the switch from stop on psd=y to continue on psd=y if it's the
>first lookup.  Any pointer?

I don't recall having changed this.  If you can check the previous draft
revisions to see when it changed, maybe I could find it.  I'm confident that
any changes to the way the tree walk works have been discussed on the list.

>> Having done that, I remind everyone for the umpteenth time that that the
>> overwhelming majority of DMARC publishers and DMARC lookups will not see
>> even one psd tag, much less more than one.  While I could sort of see the
>> use of an appendix describing the normal sorts of DMARC records that real
>> mail operators are likely to publish and evaluate, I cannot see any benefit
>> in wasting yet more time on arcane PSD edge cases.
>

>I agree, but I think developers will have to code for corner cases as well,
>won't they?  Telling programmers to just follow the spec, without trying to
>understand them seldom results in good code.

Yes, but I don't think it's that complicated.  I may be wrong, but I don't
think any of the recent corner case discussions have raised any points that
weren't already handled by the code I wrote based on what's in the draft.  I
think the last time I had to change anything was when we ditched the reverse
tree walk.

Scott K