On Thu 04/Aug/2022 22:50:20 +0200 John R. Levine wrote:
I think that Ale's expression that he had difficulty understanding the description of the tree walk as written is a strong sign we still need to improve the language.  Of the people involved in this specific discussion, as far as I know, he's the only one who's first language isn't English.  That's true for most of the people in the world, so I don't think we can call it quite done.

I took a look at the description ot the tree walk in section 4.6 and I didn't see anything to change.  I suppose we could add a sentence at the top of the section reiterating some of the discussion in 4.4 that you do tree walks on two domains to see if they are in relaxed alignment, or that you do a tree walk on the RFC5322.From domain to find its policy domain, but those seem marginal.

What Ale seemed to be asking for was something saying these aren't zone cuts and it's not the PSL.  I don't think that would be a good idea.  The list of things we are not doing is unlimited, and mentioning some of them just leads to questions about if you're not doing them, why did you mention them?

I might have messed up that introductory paragraph several times, but that's not the main point. *Section 4.8* mixes the definitions of Organizational Domain and relaxed alignment. That way, it is difficult to guess which precondition applies to which definition. I think native English speakers may misunderstand it too.

In particular, the condition that a tree walk must have met a DMARC record to be eligible for org domain determination —that is, org domain cannot be determined unless a DMARC record is found— is not evident. It is expressed only implicitly at the beginning. Then the paragraph "To discover the Organizational Domain for a domain, [...]" can be interpreted as the start of the org domain discovery algorithm definition, in the middle of the alignment discussion, dropping the preconditions stated for alignment.

The juice of my proposal is to define the org domain discovery algorithm in its own section, and discuss relaxed alignment elsewhere.

Best