"Breaking long-standing practice" is not the fault of the domain owner
policy, it is the fault of DMARC being oversold and the DMARC result being
applied by the evaluator in a way that undermines the interest of his own
recipients.

Consider the possible causes of DMARC FAIL:

Failures that can be prevented by the domain owner:
1) DNS error:  omission or typographical error which causes FAIL or
PERMERROR on both methods
2) Domain controlled server error:  Failure to apply a DKIM signature, if
the message is forwarded by the initial recipient
3) Service provider server error: failure to apply a DKIM signature, when
Mail From uses the services domain

Failures which the domain owner cannot prevent:
4) Message which is forwarded with changes, causing loss of both SPF
alignment and DKIM verification
5) Message which originates on behalf of a domain member, outside of domain
control, producing an acceptable impersonation
6) Malicious and therefore unwanted impersonations

"p=reject" can only assert that the first three failure modes have been
prevented, although experience shows that evaluators cannot always believe
that assumption.  Our document should be clear that p=reject or
p=quarantine should not be used until all messages are believed to have a
valid DKIM signature, because any message may be forwarded.

However, the domain owner has no reliable way of knowing whether conditions
4-5 will ever apply, and applicability will be different for different
recipients.   Therefore, the burden falls on the recipient's evaluator to
determine whether "p=reject" is caused by condition 6 or by one of the
other conditions.   Telling domain owners not to use p=reject is not the
solution; the real solution is for evaluators to act wisely, and to review
other available evidence carefully. Our document can provide guidance on
wise use, starting with a discussion of possible failure modes.

Doug