On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 6:25 AM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The solution is within the evaluators control, which eliminates the
> dubious strategy of waiting for everyone else to behave the way the
> evaluator or MLM thinks they should.
>
> But there has been a lot of pushback about what cannot go into our spec.
> Does this solution qualify because it works, or is it excluded because it
> is "not DMARC"?

It only works if all or most lists add Author (none do today, and it would
take a long time to get this rolled out if they started), and no other
software co-opts and mutates it for whatever reason.  Those are big enough
conditions that I'm a bit worried about writing a standards-track document
that depends on it.

I think it's also a defensible position to assert that it's outside of
DMARC's scope.  It feels to me more like an applicability statement over
email and DKIM, since it applies just as well when DMARC isn't in play at
all.

-MSK, no hat