I'd rather it be more general, to show where all of the plausible parts go.

Message/rfc822 is not more general, is just different. If I implemented failure reporting, I'd choose text/rfc822-headers (and heavy redaction) to reduce PII leakage as much as possible.

The point of the example is to show people what the message format is, so I would include all the stuff that would plausibly appear in a failure report.

I've anonymized it already, the question is if it's useful to blatantly redact stuff (redac...@yyy.zzz or RFC 6590) so as to encourage readers to implement redaction.

The point of the example is to show people what the message format is, so I would not confuse people by trying to show clever redaction.

Again, we do not know how other people run their mail system so while I agree that we should remind them that there is likely to be PII in reports, we don't know what they consider to be PII nor how severely they might want to redact them.

By the way, it looks like you edited this into the XML rather than the markdown source.  It would be nice to have the markdown available for future edits.

I agree. However, the md file in the repository is strange as it contains stuff which should be generated.

It does, it looks like someone did a quick cut and paste to make the markdown. But it's not that long, you're the editor, how about fixing the md so it's useful for editing?

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY