The current algorithm effectively says that you can have subdomain
policies, or you can have relaxed alignment, but you cannot have both.
 This does not meet my definition of upward-compatible.

However, if we are willing to deprecate major functionality in the pursuit
of freedom from the PSL, then lets deprecate relaxed alignment.   Domain
owners who are serious about DMARC will sign every message.  When signing a
message, it is no great inconvenience to sign it using the exact match
domain.   Relaxed alignment is not necessary.   With this change, the tree
walk is used to determine whether a higher-level policy exists or not.  If
none exists on the From domain, but one does exist above, then the result
is FAIL.

- - - -

On my earlier proposal, I am surprised that you are willing to assume that
everyone of importance will embrace this new and unproven algorithm to kill
the PSL, but no one is willing to add a clause to their policy record.
Which is the greater effort?

Doug Foster