This discussion is based on a mixture of theory and pragmatism.

The pragmatism side is that AOL has created a problem, is unlikely to
change, and we have to deal with life as it is rather than the way I would
like it to be.

The theoretical side is more difficult.   I would like to be more
sympathetic, but the theory doesn't support it.   I hear the mailing list
complaint as, "Any intermediary should be able to modify any traffic
without restriction.   These modifications are always beneficial, and
therefore the modified message should be more acceptable than the
original."  In short, the whole idea of DKIM is rejected.

As an evaluator, what I can accept is that "Some intermediaries could be
allowed to make some changes to messages, if I have a list of
intermediaries that should be allowed, sufficient reason to trust what they
propose to do, and a reliable way to identify them."    I do exceptions all
the time.   But lists don't want to make special arrangements with
evaluators, and don't want to make special arrangements with senders.
Apparently, lists don't even want to do rigorous verification to ensure
that a post comes from the purported subscriber.   But they do want
unrestricted access to evaluators that filter based on simplistic triggers
like "p=reject".

I think evaluators SHOULD NOT block on simplistic rules like p=reject,
because a correct p=reject block requires follow-on work to block
everything else from that malicious source, and should not be done
incorrectly.   They should review, either with pre-quarantine or
post-audit, which is what I do.  I have no problem with
disposition=quarantine, even for p=none.   I am obligated to protect my
users, while also obligated to provide my users the messages they need, not
the ones that are technically optimal   I don't understand why Big Tech and
its A.I. tools cannot be deployed to do the best thing.

Doug Foster