Those are all valid points, and I don't have a solution for them which
preserves the status quo.

I see the world moving to more Sender Authentication, not less.  Mandatory
Sender Authentication is my expected end-state.

ARC is an acknowledgement of this trend.   ARC may not add much value to
lists, because it requires out-of-band communication before From-munging
can be disabled.   But to the extent that ARC is useful to lists, it forces
them to do more and better Sender Authentication than the previous norm.
 So even they are getting sucked in, willing or not.

All of which is why I sketched out a very different mailing list design.
 It's not my job or my agenda to sell it to people, not my job to build
the product, and not my job to deal with hurt feelings.    The Internet
changed when we realized that bad guys dominate the environment, and Sender
Authentication is one of the consequences.   The name-translating design
provides a path to reliable list delivery when Sender Authentication is
mandatory.  I think that kind of future-thinking is what standards are
supposed to do.

Doug