On April 15, 2023 10:58:06 PM UTC, Neil Anuskiewicz
<neil=40marmot-tech....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

>> On Apr 14, 2023, at 8:26 PM, Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com> wrote:
>>
>> Perfect.  The goal is working towards consensus is to find something we can
>> live with, so that's exactly what I was hoping for.  I don't think it's
>> ideal
>> either, but I can live with it.
>>
>> Scott K
>
>Yes sir, that’s it. However, I’d like to see less of some narratives in the
>discussion especially around costs and benefits. It’s not you, Scott, but your
>post seems apropos.
>
>1. Cousin domains. We all get that dmarc doesn’t touch those. Dmarc is to stop
>spoofing of exact domains. There are other technologies and methods whose
>responsibility it is to track down and take down fraudsters.
>
>2. I would like to know if general purpose domain == org domain in most cases.
>Someone suggested the registration of a separate domain for general purposes.
>That sounds reasonable as long as the advice is clear that this isn’t
>advocating cousin domains.
>
>3. Dmarc should be made to work is as well as possibility to prevent exact
>domain spoofing. I’ve seen spoofing of org domains of companies that you
>wouldn’t think of as a high priority impact. It can cause catastrophic
>consequences to the organization so spoofed. I don’t have to say more here as
>presumably everyone here knows. If you don’t I think it’s critical to
>understand that. If you can’t feel it emotionally then you’ve not explored the
>consequences of spoofing.
>
>So I humbly request a practice of steal manning and dispense with the straw
>men and especially the red herrings.

What color herrings would you prefer?

I really have no idea what that last paragraph means.

If we can stick to trying to get some consensus on the MUSTard in the main part
of the document, I think we can (and should) address details in the appendix
the proposed language suggests we point to.

Dude, I have literally worked on email authentication for 20 years.  Do you
think I did that without understanding it's a problem?

Scott K