Barry, in my previous note, I used MTA generically, but was particularly
thinking of forwarders.  I assume that senders and their outbound filtering
services will be smart enough to not undermine their own signatures.

I have tried unsuccessfully to accept your assertion that a forwarder is
not a participant in DMARC, or John's related assertion that forwarders
need no advice.   There are many small hosting services that become
forwarders as a side effect of a client choice, and do not have the same
level of understanding as a mailing list admin who has been through the
DMARC-AOL wars.    These admins and their software vendors need guidance,
as confirmed by a conversation that I had just last week with an admin who
was having forwarded messages blocked.

Legitimate forwarders have two objectives:

   1. To have their forwarded messages accepted by the ultimate recipient,
   and
   2. To avoid forwarding messages that are harmful to the ultimate
   recipient.

To accomplish these goals, a forwarder SHOULD be aware of DMARC, and SHOULD
use it to block malicious impersonations.   If the forwarder makes changes
that render signatures unverifiable, it SHOULD undertake other efforts,
such as ARC and From Munging, to prevent wanted messages from being blocked
incorrectly.

These objectives cannot be achieved if the forwarder is uninformed or if
the forwarder claims to be a non-participant in DMARC.

Doug Foster