On 05/01/16 00:43, Didier Kryn wrote:
Le 04/01/2016 12:29, chill...@use.startmail.com a écrit :

Aside from the growing strength of the community, we have seen significant
progress towards init freedom in Devuan and the approaching beta release.
Important init freedom issues have been solved, and security issues will soon
come into focus with an eye on the beta release for critical security updates.
We are calling for volunteers on this, so feel free to discuss this on the
mailing list.

We are discovering day after day that "init freedom" is about the emerged part
of the iceberg. Debian still pretends to offer init freedom. What is under the
sea level is a whole monolithic operating system absorbing all critical Linux
subsystems like a black hole. Therefore escaping this monster means much more
than init freedom, it is something like keeping a free Linux/Gnu OS.

It makes more sense every day that RedHat and Debian should rename their OS
Systemd/Linux in place of Gnu/Linux. It should make sense to them as well, but
I'm afraid they deny the reality.

There was a very aggressive push to drop the GNU from the GNU/linux name some time ago, it was fairly successful. But of course android/linux is just as much linux as any other system with linux as the kernel (and because of that I can compile a suitable busybox, put it in the right context and get a really useful tablet). Though certainly it is no *nix. Many other routers, fridges, cars or desktop computers are linux. It is the GNU part that makes one or other of them a *nix, it is that part that is being steadily undone alongside the introduction of systemd. Much more so than OSX (the last time I looked anyway) where its toolchain underneath the GUI is still very unix.

Apple and Google have the resources to make a decent effort at a big, unified, locked-down, we-know-what-you-need-just-shut-up-and-consume, GUI dominated system. If I wanted a unix like that I'd use OSX and drop in some of the tools that Apple leave out by default, they do fashion and consistent GUI behaviour much better.

Simon