Le 05/08/2016 21:45, Steve Litt a écrit :
Readhttps://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev  . mdev means no Gnome allowed,
and neither KDE nor its apps allowed. That don't cross my eyes none, I
banned all KDE software from my computers in 2012, and I haven't used
Gnome since they went to the lame Gnome3. But a lot of Devuaners use
KDE and Kmail, and we all know that somehow, K3b managed to be the best
GUI optical disk burner in the world. These are challenges that must be
overcome.

More troubling is the article says LVM might not work with mdev.
Replacing Gnome and KDE is just a matter of prioritizing "works" over
"pretty" and "drag and drop". But LVM is integral to computer use. I'd
say the "might" in "might not" needs investigation.

Sorry guys, I don't participate in vdev testing yet. I'm trying to reach a better understanding of how things are working.

As I understand now, what X.org and other apps need is a library to query information on devices - eg keyboard mapping - (and maybe to change these properties?). libudev is such a library but libudev and udev are mutually dependent. It seems to me that this dependency should be broken. This is possible because all information is stored in files under /sys, and not in some private udev store.

In particular, vdev and libudev-compat would better be two independent packages. Actually KDE, Gnome K3b etc most probably only depend on libudev.

    Didier