On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 03:27:16PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 07:27:24AM +0100, marc wrote:
> > Spectre has no patch in the conventional sense. But there
> > are two types of things one can do:
> >
> > * Move to a processor which doesn't speculate :) with so many
> > side effects. Processors found on the raspberry PI, for example,
> > are ok to use.
>
> I was planning on a new laptop so I could use a reasonablly current API.
> But with the execute-ahead fiasco, I am reluctant to put serious money
> down on a vulnerable processor.  So I'm getting a raspberry pi instead
> and connecting it to my TV.  Not really a laptop, no.

Grab a Pinebook.  It's slow, but still faster than Raspberry Pi, and has two
GB ram rather than one.

For $89, you don't care that it's only a stop-gap before you can get a
better one once such CPUs become available.  Also, its manufacture quality
is pretty nice compared to other cheap laptops I've seen.

> And I'm replacing my file server with one based on a MIPS processor.

GnuBee?

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Imagine there are bandits in your house, your kid is bleeding out,