On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 10:03:46PM -0500, taii...@gmx.com wrote:
> According to wikipedia:
> "The pinebook cannot be run solely on free software now (December 2017),

Sad to hear this.  Because of this, I guess we should tell the ftpmasters
that atf-allwinner which I, seeing it's not going to be merged into mainline
this millenium, recently packaged separately, should be rejected based on
this non-freeness.

It also lacks core features its equivalents in the x86 land have: unlike ME
and PSP, there's no NSA functionality.  You do have the freedom to add such
backdoors if you wish, though.

> the linux kernel choice is limited to an old no longer supported version
> (3.10)

Wikipedia protects its readers by requiring verifiability via reliable,
published sources (such as Phoronix) rather than hearsay (#linux-sunxi) or
own research (cat /proc/version).

> with binary blobs to support most of the hardware, including the Mali
> graphics or any kind of 2D or 3D acceleration.

Unlike x86, on ARM 2D and 3D are separate.

Only Mali is lacking; while I see active work
(https://github.com/yuq/mesa-lima) it's not anywhere near functional.
I don't get what you'd need 3D on a laptop of this kind for, though.

More troubling is no arisc: it's needed for real suspend; without it, the
best you can do is to turn off all cores but one and set the last core to
lowest frequency.  It has been reverse engineered, but there's currently no
packaged toolchain.  For now, such one-eye-open sleep is uncool for those
who use laptops away from civilization.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Imagine there are bandits in your house, your kid is bleeding out,