On 01/17/2018 05:17 PM, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 17. Januar 2018 schrieb Adam Borowski:
[...]
Grab a Pinebook.  It's slow, but still faster than Raspberry Pi, and has two
GB ram rather than one.

For $89, you don't care that it's only a stop-gap before you can get a
better one once such CPUs become available.  Also, its manufacture quality
is pretty nice compared to other cheap laptops I've seen.
Pinebook would be nice, if they actually would ship some day :-/
I would instead get a novena, an actually shipping ARM laptop and it is apparently free firmware/hardware besides a blob for 3D graphics.
It also has an intergrated FPGA.

According to wikipedia:
"The pinebook cannot be run solely on free software now (December 2017), and the linux kernel choice is limited to an old no longer supported version (3.10) with binary blobs to support most of the hardware, including the Mali graphics or any kind of 2D or 3D acceleration.

Work is underway to integrate support into mainline Linux kernel, but the manufacturer of the CPU (Allwinner) is notorious for its lack of interest in supporting Open Source."
:[