Quoting Adam Borowski (kilob...@angband.pl):

> While I heartily agree with you about GNOME itself, there's too much
> software that uses gnome libs to allow such a move without having to patch
> hundreds if not thousands of packages.

Last time I checked, the GNOME libs required by 90%+ of those hundreds
if not thousands of packages didn't have dependency chain resolving to
systemd-logind or replacements thereof.  gnumeric didn't, Evince
did't, Dia did't, Shotwell didn't, Brasero didn't, GNOME Terminal
didn't -- not even Evolution did.

What does?  The gnome-core package, which isn't a requirement of those
90%+ of GNOME applications.  gnome-disk-utility, ditto.
gnome-settings-daemon, network-manager, modem-manager-gui,
gnome-system-tools, gnome-music, gnome-shell, gnome-disk-utility, and
the 'gnome' kitchen-sink metapackage.  Stuff like that -- GNOME-specific
glue code pieces required to run the GNOME core as opposed to GNOME
apps.  But those are not to be confused with 90%+ of those hundreds if
not thousands of packages, of which you speak.

> Thus, logind needs to be at least emulated.

I have no objection to systemd-logind being emulated.  I merely think
it's a mistake if anyone deems those emulations essential.  They're a
brittle crutch to software that IMO ought to be deemed non-essential,

> joeyh resigned right after his decision to switch to XFCE got overridden
> this way.

I didn't know that, but that makes sense.  That was a colossal blunder.