On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 05:34:44PM +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:

[cut]

> Thinking laterally, I removed 'wicd wicd-gtk wicd-daemon python-wicd
> wpasupplicant' and rebooted. I now had my fixed IP. Re-installed the
> packages I had removed and rebooted again, wicd now worked correctly.
>
> If Devuan wants to continue using wicd, I think it is going to have to
> install net-tools as part of the install.
>
> Rowland

Hi Rowland,

thanks. Bottom line is: we should Recommends: net-tools every time a
task Recommends: wicd. This has been reported by a couple more
users. The issue has arisen since net-tools is not any more Priority:
standard in Stretch, so it won't get installed in the base system. We
could indeed just fork the package and increase its priority, solving
the problem once and for all. We'll discuss that and go for the most
reasonable alternative ;)

My2Cents

KatolaZ